For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Friday, February 3, 2012

The story of the cookies

It all started with porridge. Sometime, I must have said that I wanted porridge for lunch. Porridge would be incomplete without salted egg, you see, so Tim decided that he should try to make some. We had both assumed then that salted eggs had not yet been introduced to the Nashville food scene. We remembered that our friend Emily had posted a salted egg recipe on her website, though. Armed with a recipe now, Tim was determined to make salted eggs. Apparently, said recipe specified an air tight jar. He looked out for a suitable one wherever we went, and finally managed to find one from TJ Maxx. But lo and behold, the next time we went to K&S, our go-to Asian grocery store, we found salted eggs. And this is the story of how we ended up with a large, air tight glass jar, now transformed into a cookie jar, waiting to be filled.

A few nights ago, Tim came up to me with a recipe pulled from the world wide web for chocolate chip pecan cookies, and asked if it would work. It was from Southern Living, so I gave it the stamp of approval. Wow, I thought, he's serious about this cookie-baking business.

So, I came home on Wednesday evening from school to this.

One gem of a heart-shaped cookie, just for me

There was a whole jar, plus a box full. Now, only a whole jar because the ones in the box have been eaten up. Ahem.

Pecan Brown Sugar Cookies

I was especially blessed, since Wednesday was the day that I finally submitted my proposal for my upcoming capstone project. 

And you know what? The cookies were really good. They had a slightly chewy texture, were just the right sweetness, and had some pleasing salty bits here and there. I didn't even mind that there weren't chocolate chips. In the culinary world, this can be explained by salt, butter, and brown sugar. In the real world, though, it's all because of love. 

I thank God for my husband, and I love him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment