For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A song, nonetheless

Is a glowing flower too little a thing to thank God for? How about a steaming, comforting bowl of soup? What about the clouds, or the sunshine, or snowflakes which melt away once they arrive down to earth? When I remember the days when my spirit is too downcast to notice these things, I know that giving thanks for these things are not just for their own sake, but for a spirit that is able to celebrate and rejoice.

The sky is infinite only to man's mind. Not so to its Maker. 

There are other days, when my thanksgiving song takes on a different tone.

Today, I give thanks in:

..::.. Being wronged by loved ones: For it teaches me forgiveness, and keeps me remembering that I myself have wronged, but was forgiven. It sends my eyes to the cross, and makes me wonder at how I've forgotten the love of my Savior and power of His work on that cross.

..::.. Regrets: For it strengthens in me faith in my Redeemer, whose wisdom is not limited by the workings of a finite mind like mine. With Him I can entrust the questions which creep up on me unawares and only try to scare the daylights out of me. He is the only one who can answer a what if  question, and He is not obliged to give me an answer.

..::.. Sadness: For overcoming sadness is a triumph in itself. When 'doing the next thing' requires more strength and effort than it normally does, each next thing done becomes more an acknowledged miracle than would have been realized otherwise.

..::.. Misunderstandings: For in the end that whole process of trying to understand helps me see more clearly. Misunderstandings snap me out of that false sense of pseudo-knowledge that deceives me into thinking I do know, when I really do not. Misunderstandings, with the wisdom God provides, can be open the door to a journey toward understanding.

..::.. Delayed, or denied requests: For they teach patience, and trust that the present is the best gift, while the future a God-kept secret, for now. They can also be whispers of a better plan. I am just starting to catch a whiff of that myself.

..::.. The temptation to win others' approval: For in resisting I am affirming my faith in the one in whom my identify is founded. It should be His approval I try to win, and the way to do it is not like the means to win man's approval. For example, He says:
For the Lord sees not as man sees: Man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the hears. 1 Samuel 16:7
..::.. Loneliness: For at moments when it seems I am friendless in this world I lean more closely to Jesus, my friend forever, and my heart is urged to cherish my loved ones more dearly. Wrongs are quickly forgiven, just to have them near and dear.
In everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 
Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.  Romans 5:3-5 

No comments:

Post a Comment