For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime. Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
Psalm 30:5

Monday, August 19, 2019

With Open Hands

Lunch today was all about laying down expectations, and receiving the unexpected. I have found myself too often saying no to so many opportunities to connect with people, through workday lunches, through social media. Head full of suspicion regarding others' intentions at getting close, or genuine interest in getting to know me, I have found myself more and more alone. It is as though I would rather have no friends, if not perfect-match ones.

Today, though, I said yes, remembering that I had promised. I chose to connect over a meal with non kindred spirits. Yes, I would not be sharing my deeper thoughts, I would need to behave properly. It was not likely conversation would turn to my favourite subjects. I would have to listen to others. I would feel awkward, because I'm not a great small-talker. And I was right about all of it.

Still, there will come a time when I will look back upon this day, and cherish it, simply for what it is. I shall remember that when I stubbornly grasp my preconceived notions and expectations in relationships, my hands are unable to receive the many precious, simple gifts that come with everyday relationships.

Today, the gifts were simple, but so, so needed. There was glorious Thai food - with layers upon layers of flavours and just the right amount of spice. There was a mellow cup of matcha latte, bitterness and sweetness calibrated to perfection. There was even an art exhibition we stumbled upon - with a message so clear it was not possible to miss. But most of all, there was a growing sense of acceptance of these colleagues as my friends - just as they are.

Thank you, J & C, for reminding me, without words at all, of what friendships could be - simple, free, and open.

Holding onto God's promises in the area of relationships

What a perfect reminder of what God values - community


No comments:

Post a Comment